STICK TO YOUR TIFFIN AT SCHOOL
• Don’t skip your meals in school.
• Tiffin must be planned according to insulin dose and their physical activity.
• Parents shouldn’t feel offended or ashamed to discuss juvenile diabetes with your organization’s head and other staff so that the child can have his food in segments of small frequent meal to control the glucose level as diabetes is not a disease it is metabolic syndrome.
KNOW WHAT YOUR CHILD EAT
- Pay attention to what he is consuming.
- Keep a food record.
- Count the carbohydrates and calories.
- Keep control and restrict the intake of high sugary foods.
LOOK AT FEET EVERYDAY
- Check for any kind of wounds.
- One might not feel the cuts that will normally cause pain so it is a must for parents to check for the wound as elevated blood glucose level may cause diabetic foot.
- For foot care rub the skin cream on foot at night and make sure to wear shoes that fit properly.
- Keep your child hydrated make him drink water to prevent dizziness, faintness, lethargy and drop down of blood pressure as high blood sugar level causes dehydration.
KNOW YOUR NUMBERS
- Monitor glucose at regular intervals to prevent the condition of hypoglycemia and to adjust the doses of insulin accordingly.
- Prolonged diabetes may affect kidney and other parameters also.
So, it is important to keep the number of following parameters like Blood pressure, Cholesterol, Kidney function etc.