Cancer is a disease in which the body’s abnormal cells divides uncontrollably. These abnormal cells can grow anywhere in the body. It can damage the immune system and destroy body tissues. It also prevents old cells from dying at the natural point in their life cycle.
Cancer is one of the leading causes of death worldwide and It is projected to continue rising. It accounts for 82 Lack deaths in the world.
Cancerous cells may occur in one area and then spread by direct extension or through a process called metastasis. In this process the malignant cells travel through the lymphatic or blood vessels and lodge themselves in other organs where they can again repeat the uncontrolled growth cycle. In some types of cancer there is rapid cell growth while in others cells grow and divide at a slower rate. Certain cancers result in visible growth of cluster of abnormal cells called tumors while others do not show such results for example, leukemia.
People often give up when they know that they are suffering from cancer. There is lack of awareness among people regarding cancer. They think that no medicine or treatment can cure it. However, if detected in the earlier stage of life, cancer can be cured. Many people are unaware about the diseases and its treatment through diets.
There are more than 100 types of cancers. Most common among them are:
- Breast cancer
- Lung cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Skin cancer
Based on where it begins, cancer is divided into four types:
- Leukemia– It is cancer of the blood. It occurs when healthy blood cells change and grow uncontrollably. The four main types of leukemia are acute myeloid leukemia, acute lymphocytic leukemia, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, and chronic myeloid leukemia.
- Lymphomas– It is cancer of lymphocytes that begins in the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system is a network of vessels and glands that help fight infection. Main types of lymphomas include Hodgkin lymphoma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
- Sarcomas– It emerges in bone, muscle, blood vessels, nerves, fat, joints, cartilage or other soft or connective tissues of the body.
- Carcinomas– These cancers originate in lungs, skin, breasts and pancreas and other organs and glands. It includes prostate cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer and colorectal cancer.
Causes of Cancer
Imbalanced diets, infections, environmental factors or poor lifestyle can be the cause behind cancer. Other causes include:
- Poor lifestyle choices and imbalanced diets
- Exposure to chemical or toxic compound
- High alcohol consumption
- Physical inactiveness
- Inherited genetic factors
- Chronic inflammation
At times some people with genetic links to cancer may not develop it while others may be affected by it. It happens because some people may have a heightened immune response that controls or eliminates cells that are or potentially may become cancer cells. Certain dietary lifestyles may also play a significant role in concurrence with the immune system to allow or prevent cancer cell survival. For these reasons, it is difficult to state specific causes of cancer to many different individuals.
The symptoms of cancer and its signs depend on the specific type and grade of cancer. People suffering from different types of cancer will show different symptoms. Although general symptoms are not very specific, the following symptoms can be found in patients with different cancers:
- Persistent coughor blood-tinged saliva
- A change in bladder or bowel habits
- Skin changes
- Blood in the stool
- Breast lump or breastdischarge
- Lumps in the testicles
- Take diet that is high in protein. One can add spirulina, quinoa, chicken and eggs in their diet.
- Consume food that is good in building immunity like extra virgin olive oil, B complex, E bacillus.
- Anti cancerous foods include berries and mint leaves. Make sure that these are part of your diet.
- Turmeric, ginger and citrus fruits activate the defense mechanisms of body against cancer.
- Avoid excessive intake of oil, sugar and salt, red meat and alcohol consumption.
It’s high time to initiate preventive measures against cancer. Different people react to different stimuli so it becomes difficult to say if certain symptoms are of cancer or not. Some people may not show symptoms and may not be aware that they are having cancer until the diagnosis is done. Remember not to panic because with right guidance and awareness this disease can be prevented, detected and treated.