Having diabetes can restrict the person to certain foods only. This disease not only causes the risk of obesity and stroke but it also puts people at a high risk of developing heart disease. Many people having diabetes have to say goodbye to many foods. Today I will tell you the recipe of chana dal chilla that is good for diabetic people.
Chana dal or split Bengal gram is used in various parts of Indian. It is used in curries, salads and rice dishes. Some delicacies are also prepared using this dal. When it is used in powered form it is called chickpea flour.
It is high in fiber which helps your body to utilize the sugar effectively, resulting in slower rise in blood sugar levels. It also has very low hypoglycemic index. Another benefit of consuming chana dal is that it can be easily digested. It is also rich in magnesium. This is the reason why this dal can lower insulin resistance. All these benefits make it ideal for diabetic patients.
For your easy understanding, ingredients and preparation method is given in details.
- Half cup chana dal
- Half cup fenugreek (methi) leaves (chopped)
- Half cup carrot (grated)
- Half cup spinach (chopped)
- 5-6 curry leaves (chopped)
- 2 green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (grated)
- 2 tbsp curd
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for greasing the tawa and cooking chilla
- Soak chana dal for 4-5 hours and then drain it. Grind the dal into a coarse paste. You can add water to get thick consistency.
- Mix all the ingredients well in a large bowl.
- Heat a non-stick tawa. Once it becomes hot, grease it with oil. Spread the batter evenly.
- Drizzle little oil so that chilla cooks properly.
- Cook each side until it turns golden brown.
- Repeat the process to make more chilla.
- Serve it hot with any chutney of your choice.
The fenugreek leaves present in chilla improves insulin response and reduces cholesterol levels. Presence of carrot and spinach makes it healthier.
This chana dal chilla will give you nutrients as well as satiate your hunger. It is not necessary that this chilla is meant for diabetic people only. Anyone can enjoy this lip smacking dish. It is very easy to prepare this chilla and it cooks really fast. So what are you waiting for? Follow this recipe to many delicious diabetes special chana dal chilla.